7.02.2007

pocket bible.

the other day a certain someone found it endearing that i happened to have my bible in my purse. this was a rare, if not the only time in recent memory that i felt truly respected and appreciated for my faith. i wasn't being thought of as stupid and a blind minion to what is in some minds, the most intellectually stifling scam of all time. i wasn't being forced to hold my tongue because i don't agree with every little detail or particular political leaning being preached. i wasn't killing the conversation by merely hinting at my spirituality. i wasn't being associated with the numerous wrong doings throughout history done in the name of God or religion. in actuality, discovering christianity has been one of the most complex, challenging processes i have ever pursued in my entire life. while some believers follow blindly and a few authority figures can easily lead their flock astray, i think to truly believe in Christ and applying his teachings to living is a personal decision that others cannot force upon you. it takes a strong will and deeply rooted belief to bear the many blows of criticism that are hurled at christianity. it is even more difficult when many prominent christians have failed to fully understand Christ's teachings of gentle love, understanding, and acceptance and therefore taint the rest of the world's perception. i can only hope that enough wise people are brave enough to speak up and reverse the fear and misgivings that are all too commonly associated with christianity.

2 comments:

john skyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
john skyler said...

Em, I'm not entirely sure what to say other than I really liked this post. I don't have many friends who call themselves christian, but the few I do have, yourself included, have repeatedly impressed me with the open-hearted and open-mindedness that your faith seems, upon close inspection, to truly embody. For people like myself, who do not feel the call to follow an organized religion, it is sometimes tempting to judge your faith by those who, as you say, have not fully examined the teachings of christ. Thankfully, there are people like you, (and laura, and isaac), who keep me from being able to do as much... and I can't thank you enough for that.
best,
j